[Buddha-l] Subject: the poignancy of Donald Lopez

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jan 18 08:51:02 MST 2010

J Whalen-Bridge wrote:
> Curt Steinmetz, your attack on Michael Jerryson’s book is
> unnecessarily nasty.  This language drips with sarcasm:  “In a recent
> article he wrote for religionispatches.org, Jerryson tells the
> cockle-warming story his own personal journey from clueless dupe to
> righteous debunker.”  You gave a link, and I turned to the webpage.
> Monks who carry guns under their robes contradict the general spirit
> of Buddhism and vinaya rules, and it is a perfectly good subject for
> an academic study.  Perhaps Michael Jerryson, in the fullness of time,
> will become more savagely ironic, but for the moment he appears to
> have chosen an interesting and timely subject.  Instead of focusing so
> much on scoring points, you might want to let your responses settle a
> bit before firing off angry, not-very-thoughtful emails that aren’t
> very accurate.  For example, you accuse Jerryson of naively assuming
> monks and nuns should just be victims and not attempt to be safe, but
> that’s not what the page you’ve linked your complaints to suggest.
> “The constant fear and violence took a toll on them.” If someone has
> worked hard for six years on a challenging subject of general
> interest, I’d say s/he warrants a better response than what you’ve
> given.
> John W-B

Jerryson accuses the Dalai Lama, Walpola Rahula and D.T. Suzuki of
spearheading a century long campaign of "Buddhist propaganda". The
extreme stupidity of such a claim requires a strong response. No one
should be left with the impression that there is a serious point to what
he is saying, over which reasonable people might politely and
respectfully disagree.

Over 12 years ago Matthew Kosuta produced a detailed study of "The
Military in the Pali Canon" (which is nowhere mentioned, even in a
footnote, in Jerryson's book). In the conclusion of that study Kosuta
states that based on the Pali Canon (as close as we can get to the
"original" teachings of the historical Buddha) Buddhist teachings have
always recognized "that, in a mundane perspective, the military is ever
present, of high prestige, and even necessary in some circumstances for
the protection of Buddhism."

If one actually read what Walpola Rahula wrote one will find that while
he does claim that Buddhism is thoroughly pacifistic, he consistently
blurs the distinction between simple tolerance and understanding with an
absolute pacifist position. In other words, Rahula's writings on
nonviolence reflect exactly the same "apparent contradiction" that
Kosuta finds throughout the Pali Canon. Rahula also frequently praises
Asoka, who, as everyone knows, only renounced conquest, but never
disbanded his armies altogether.

In other words, there was nothing deceptive or "propagandistic" about
whatever contradictions there might have been in Rahula's position on
non-violence, and this is easily discoverable by anyone with access to
google.

The Dalai Lama is another, very different case. Anyone with the
slightest interest in the history of Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism knows
that it has never been a pacifist religion, and the Dalai Lama has never
made any such claim. Many Tibetan Buddhists, including high ranking
Lamas, completely reject His Holiness' pacifism, including the late
Taktster Rinpoche (the Dalai Lama's oldest brother) who helped organize
armed resistance to the Chinese in the 1950's and 60's.

As for D.T. Suzuki, what kind of a moron would claim that the great
champion of Samarai Zen tried to fool westerners into believing that
Buddhists do not believe in the right to self-defense?

Curt

P.S. Matthew Kosuta's study, based on his Master's Thesis, is online here:
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma6/militarycanon.html