[Buddha-l] Vajrayana on buddha in the Buddha

Alberto Todeschini alberto.tod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:20:00 MST 2010

Katherine Masis, quoting Quli, wrote:

 >Natalie Quli seems to have been describing Buddha-L on page 11 of her
recently-discussed article:?
?
"?the extolling of reason and rationality; a rejection of ritual,
?superstition? and cosmology; ? the tendency to define Buddhism as a
philosophy rather than a religion; ? and rejection of ?spirit? or ?folk?
religion as mere cultural accretions to be separated from the rational
core of Buddhism."<

I haven't read the article, but in isolation I wonder how much of this
quote is true nowadays, especially if you refer it to Buddha-(Hel)l. I
like to put it more in terms of preference. There are numerous scholars
of Buddhism, as well as interested non-professionals, who are attracted
to the philosophical aspects of this or that Buddhist school. I'm one of
them. I also know perfectly well that there's a lot more to Buddhism
than this, and so do my colleagues. Simply, I don't write about some of
the other aspects that Quli mentions because I'm either not interested
enough or competent to do so. But I know they are there, and I don't
reject them.

To conclude, I'm not sure that the quote above is true nowadays, though
as I said, I haven't read Quli's article so I have no idea about what
time-frame she is referring to. In particular, I haven't seen any of
that rejection here on Buddha-l. Failure to mention or being interested
in some aspects of Buddhism doesn't mean rejecting them, though I
understand that it could give such impression.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini