[Buddha-l] OṂ MAṆI PAD ME HŪṂ (was: Re: "Western Self, Asian Other" )

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 3 03:32:29 MST 2010

Thanks, Chris for the 6 Buddha correlative theory. One minor correction.
What you are quoting is not what "Dan Lusthaus wrote," but what Alexander
Studholme wrote in his book _The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum: A Study of the
Karandavyuha Sutra_ SUNY Press, 2002.

The Dalai Lama, on the site I previously gave a link to, mentions *five*
Buddhas re: Om mani padme hum. " In terms of the seed syllables of the five
Conqueror Buddhas, hum is the seed syllable of Akshobhya - the immovable,
the unfluctuating, that which cannot be disturbed by anything."

The link, again: http://www.circle-of-light.com/Mantras/om-mantra.html

Since Om can be broken into 3 syllables (a-u-m), shall we go for eight
Buddhas? A-U-M ma-ni pad-me hum? (or seven, if a-um ma-ni pad-me hum?) If we
give each ak.sara (letter) its own corresponding bija we could get 10
Buddhas or more (depending on how you treat the vowels).

Dan