[Buddha-l] Om mani padme hum IN "Western Self, Asian Other"

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 16:17:56 MST 2010

Joanna,

> Why can't it be the "jewel of (belonging to, from the) the lotus"?

"Belonging to" would require a genitive ending. "From the" would require the
ablative. While, as is evident, cases can be made (and unmade) for locative
and vocative readings of padme, padme cannot (as far as I can tell) be
construed as either genitive or ablative. This is what we meant by grammar
putting limits on interpretation, but not sufficient to decide amongst
viable possibilities.

But, hey, if you call yourself a Buddhist, and want to interpret it that
way, who are we prejudicial orientalist-tinged western scholars to tell you
you're wrong? Just don't release sarin in any subways.

cheers,
Dan