[Buddha-l] Non-arising

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 15:52:20 MST 2010

Hi Richard,

> Note that this argument embeds an assumption that's crucial to its
> effectiveness, and that's also easy to miss: "attainment of nirvana" =
> "nirvana." In other words: there's no important distinction to be
> drawn between attaining X and X itself. X _just is_ the attainment of
> X.

What else is nirvana but an attainment? Should we think of it as a place? A
thing? A locus? A dimension? A psychological condition?

The use of words for "attainment" in these contexts is ubiquitous in
Buddhist texts.

> Perhaps this is true in the case of nirvana.

Very important qualification. Not only "perhaps," but necessarily.

>But it hardly seems
> convincing more generally. Compare: a medal won at an Olympic event
> can be melted down. Is the same true of its attainment?

That's because the medals (and their attaiment) arise and cease due to
causes and conditions.

This also helps illustrate what I consider an important difference between
Indian "logic" (up to Dharmakirti) and modern western formal logics. The
latter insist on contentless structure -- converting statements into
mathematical formulas is not only possible but encouraged. Indian logics do
not divorce from content (hence the importance of the darstantika --
inclusive and exclusionary examples). What determines the validity of an
Indian syllogism is not mere formal structure, but distribution of content
across the statements, whether the paksadharma is or isn't included in the
hetu and sapaksa or vipaksa. That cannot be decided formally, but according
to the content of each statement. 99% of the secondary literature on Indian
logic fails to recognize that very basic point.

Those that do are hesitant to call what the Indians did "logic."

Dan