[Buddha-l] Non-Arising

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 14:03:02 MST 2010

Joanna,

> "... Also, the Pali version of the Abhidhamma is a strictly
> Theravada collection, and has little in common with the
> Abhidhamma works recognized by other Buddhist schools[11].

The reference is to an encyclopedia article, so I don't know who made that
claim, but it is false, or at best, grossly overstated. Long-time
buddha-l-ers may remember a discussion some years back between Lance Cousins
and myself on this issue. Lance, relying on Frauwallner (who, in his survey
of Abhidharma literature, made great effort to minimize differences from
Theravadin versions), argued that the non-Theravadin adhidharma materials
corresponded, virtually book by book with the Theravadin versions. I took
the opposite position, pointing out that it was in this pitika that one
finds the greatest variance between the difference schools.

Since I was the one pressing for recognizing the differences, let me clarify
that there are definite affinities between the abhidharma literatures of the
various schools, though they evolve differently. Some texts -- one presumes
the earliest -- match up better than others. And the Sarvastivadins, etc.,
developed a debate literature within the abhidharma that has no Theravada
parallel. So the claim the there is "little in common" between Theravada
abhidhamma and other Abhidharmas is simply false. There are big differences,
but not a radical disjunct.

One of the great scholars of abhidharma today, Rev. Dhammajoti (who has been
teaching abhidharma to Theravadin monks in Sri Lanka, Kuala Lampur and
elsewhere for decades; as well as teaching at Hong Kong University), in his
books on abhidharma, uses the Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, and Tibetan versions.
The numerous nuts-and-bolts comparisons he draws between Sarvastivadin,
etc., abhidharma terms and arguments, and the Theravadin versions should be
enough to dismiss that characterization. He would not, however, conflate
them as does Frauwallner or Cousins, nor would I.

His books:

Bhikkhu KJ Dhammajoti. _Sarvastivada Abhidharma_ Hong Kong: Centre of
Buddhist Studies, 2009, 4th rev. ed.

---. _Abhidharma Doctrines and Controversies on Perception_. Hong Kong:
Centre of Buddhist Studies, 2007, 3rd rev. ed.

---. _Entrance in the Supreme Doctrine: Skandhila's Abhidharmavatara_. Hong
Kong: Centre of Buddhist Studies, 2008, 2nd rev. ed.

VERY highly recommended reading for all interested in actual Buddhism,
including psychology, epistemology, marga, etc.

Dan