[Buddha-l] Non-arising

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 13:21:41 MST 2010

Dear Bernhard,

> 1. 'anupattika-dharma-kṣānti:
> if I subsume the arguments about this point, I think the following would
> not be completely wrong:
> 'stability and patience resulting from an experience of the non-arising'.

That would be the diplomatic, straddle-both-options, solution. I'm not sure
it is fully satisfactory.

Going back to Lamotte, he clearly differentiated two major, distinct senses
in which ksanti is being used in Buddhist literature, noting that he is not
the first to notice that different texts and authors define it differently.

The scholarly approach to evaluating this would not to simply play some
etymological games, which are ok for email shorthand, but to carefully
examine each of the texts he brings into evidence. After doing so, it will
become increasingly more difficult to maintain the diplomatic solution
without feeling dishonest. Examining each of those texts is probably not
most efficiently accomplished on an email list, but if people want spend the
time...

> 2.
>> Where water, earth, fire, & wind have no footing:
>>     There the stars do not shine,
>>         the sun is not visible,
>>         the moon does not appear,
>>         darkness is not found.
>> Note the inclusion of "darkness is not found." Important.
>
> Why ist this point important for you?

It's also important for the commentators. Darkness (tamas) is a euphemism
for ignorance. This is also a case where something (supposedly) positive is
being defined negatively, by what it is not. After listing the absence of
light-sources, it also says darkness (tamas) is not found. Does one leap to
the opposite side, and assume there IS light? Is something else going on? It
recontextualizes everything that precedes; it's not just another item on a
checklist.

> I understand this just as a description of an 'experience' of the
> non-arising.

Why? It arose as a direct consequence of a conversation, however brief, with
Buddha, driven by an obsessive compulsion to know. Many Zen stories mirror
this (though they usually only make it to the moment of death, and then
resolve the problem before death occurs). It has causes and conditions,
context, and an urgent timeliness within the narrative.

The narrative of this sutta is not just a story-frame for an exceptional
exchange and closing verse (though it is that as well). The narrative is, in
my opinion, perhaps more important or at least equally important to the
"wisdom words" encompassed within, like pearls in a smelly oyster. Every
detail is crucial, from the egotism, to the dead relative, to the obsession,
to relentless pursuit of the teacher's attention, to the quick exchange, to
the blessed mother-cow (what does being awakened but being unable to tell a
dangerous cow from a nonthreatening one tell us about what being awake
means?), to the eulogy and funeral of a non-monk as if an arhat.

The sutta is the quintessential zen story -- obsession leads to
enlightenment, with a "turning phrase". Stupas, asking 3 times, Buddha's
guiltless reaction to the cow tragedy (or was the stupa business
conscience?), another case of a laymen "getting it" almost instantly while
monks trudge back and forth to town endlessly and remain clueless (yeah, but
if he would have been a monk on breakfast rounds he might have avoided the
cow....). He is treated to the royal monk funeral, though not a monk. An
honorary brother (there are a number of these interesting post-death
pronouncements by the Pali Buddha, e.g., re: suicide, etc.). Enlightenment
does not prevent death or tragedy, and apparenlty it does not include the
ability to read warning signals from overdefensive bovines. So much for
omniscience (Buddha's or Bahiya's -- but of course in the Tevijjavacchagotta
in Majjh. N. Buddha denies omniscience). His unwittingly predictive comment
to get B to talk to him: Hey, Mr. B., we don't know how long you will live
or how long I will live (so let's get with the program!). His inpatience is
so American...

The sutta can be endlessly, fruitfully interrogated.

> Why do you stress this 'iti' - I cannot see the difference?

iti can serve several functions, one of which is to act as closing-quotation
marks for a quote. One usually does not use it when merely speaking
extemporaneously, but when quoting something or someone, or setting off the
previous expression is some way. As I mentioned, in the other version of the
boilerplate addressed to Māluṅkyaputta (which also explicitly labels the
boilerplate as the Condensed version of Buddhadharma for people who don't
have long to live and are in a hurry to "get it") there are no iti-s. The
Māluṅkyaputta version is much slicker, more worked over, more redacted, at
least in my opinion. We have a more raw version -- though clearly carefully
crafted, in the Bāhiya sutta version.

One iti would have suggested the above is template. Two separate iti-s
suggest that the two passages are both quotes taken from elsewhere. Since it
seems they only occur together (the Māluṅkyaputta version being the only
other occasion), the two iti-s suggest that there used to be versions of
these templates where the two passages that were brought together in this
sutta where originally separate. The seams have been erased in the
Māluṅkyaputta version (where further contextual explanation is provided,
i.e., this is what you tell to those getting close to death, implying that
one should read back into the Bāhiya version a predictive quality to Buddha
having chosen that particular condensed version -- as if the Māluṅkyaputta
version is a partial commentary on the Bāhiya version).

All this goes directly to the important philological questions raised by
Bankei. When reading the Pali texts you are not reading transcripts, but
carefully crafted and heavily redacted accounts. And not always the earliest
versions (Schopen has demonstrated that).

> Well - cute.
> Might be Buddha would have answered to you: 'I will not tell you' :-)
> My background is that of a theoretical physicist and a longyears
> buddhist practioner. So if you come up with 'causes' and Nagarjuna, I
> would say: does not apply.

Nagarjuna says it does apply -- Buddhism is not a vacation from physics
unless it relinquishes its claim to speak about things like "reality."

Nagarjuna's fellow Buddhists had similar misconceptions. While they didn't
talk about the Transcendent, they do talk a lot about the Unconditioned
(asamskrta). They quibble about what fits that category and what does not,
and even whether it is a coherent category (e.g., Sautrantikas and Yogacaras
consider asamskrta to be prajnapti, not dravya, which means only nominal
existents, not actual entities). Lots of Buddhists considered nirvana to be
asamskrta (though it is never included on Abhidharma lists of asamskrta
dharmas).

Unconditioned means precisely that it is not produced by causes and
conditions, i.e., nonarising, nonceasing. So Nagarjuna asked his fellow
Buddhists a version of the same questions I asked:

If Nirvana is unconditioned, then there are no causes and conditions which
can produce it.
Buddhists say there is a Marga (Path/method) that if you do X, Y, and Z, you
will attain nirvana.
If X, Y, and Z lead to the attainment of nirvana, then nirvana is not
unconditioned, since one has just stipulated the conditions.
OR
Nirvana IS unconditioned, in which case the claim that X, Y, and Z lead to
the attainment of Nirvana is nonsense.
In either case, Nagarjuna concludes, Buddhists are speaking nonsense.

>from the modern mathematical viewpoint Nagarjunas logic is full of
> errors - but I will not discuss this here - so forget this statement.)
> ;-))

Why? You might draw Richard H. out of hiding. That's been one of his
favorite theses for many years.

Nagarjuna's "logic" is sound, in my opinion, as the example above suggests.
One has to be careful to not "mistranslate" his statements into strawman
versions of his arguments when converting them to mathematical
(non-)equivalents.

> For example 'cause & effect':
> this concept in its traditional simple form is not an adequate
> description of experiences of this world.

And here you agree with Nagarjuna who takes up this point in the very first
chapter on his Mula-madhyamaka-karika.

> So these meditation experiences I'm talking about are 'non-causal' in
> that sense, that you cannot control these experiences, but they are
> causal in that sense, that they have a base (a cause) in our brains.

Don't say "brain" in front of Dee. She prefers her bio-psychology in the
2500 year vintage when the thinking organ was the heart.

>the experience of 'no-time', while an external clock is running on,
> is only for philosophers an annoyance :-)

Philosophers are delighted, not annoyed, with these sorts experiences. They
fill books with them.

But you must recognize that you have entered a very strange linguistic
space. Causes are not called "causes," experiences in time and of time are
called "atemporal," and everything gets a name close to the opposite of what
it is. That is not only confusing and misleading (and the reasons why that
sort of reversal is attractive, even thrilling, is of great interest to
Nagarjuna and Yogacaras), it is what the Buddhists label viparyasa, turning
things up-side down, lit. "perverse."

Dan