[Buddha-l] Non-Arising

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Feb 25 10:52:19 MST 2010

Dan et al.,

> Buddhism promises direct access, but not to the Transcendent.
> That's across the hall, in the Hindu room...

Not to be too crude about such a vital point, but "yep." Seems to me
one way of looking at the entire history of Buddhism--and I mean right
back to the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta--is as a history of fighting
back against the transcendent. It's like the return of the repressed,
but in this case the return of the fantasized eternal.

Yours in the struggle, comrades!

Franz
(who knows that sutta was unlikely to actually have been taught first
and as we read it now; it's a metonymy, okay?)