[Buddha-l] Picture: Distribution of Wealth by Religious Membership

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 23 13:25:03 MST 2010

Op 23-2-2010 20:12, Dan Lusthaus schreef:
>> http://awesome.good.is/transparency/web/1002/almighty-dollar/flat.html
>>
>> It's no secret that the distribution of wealth is inequitable in the
>> United States across racial, regional, and socio-economic groups. But
>> there is a distinct variance among and within America's faiths as well.
>> This transparency takes a look at the income levels of America's major
>> religious groups, as compared to the average U.S. income distribution.
>>
> And this thesis of implied discrimination is supported by the phenomenal
> success of Hindus?
>
> Looks like data in search of a better thesis/headline.

This remarkable indeed. I suppose the Hindus left their poor in India.
An explanation could be that many Hindus went to the U.S. to study and
stayed. Buddhists are very close to the Christian mainline.
Something very serious that the graph doesn't show is the increase in
the gap between the poor and the rich; this means a decrease in the
happiness index.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms