[Buddha-l] China-Birma Railway

Shiangtai Tuan shiangtai at alumni.duke.edu
Thu Dec 16 10:26:50 MST 2010

At 10:29 AM 12/14/2010, you wrote:
 >Thoughts of the movie Bridge on the River Kwai, and also of how
 >easy it is to blow up RRs.

         Things have definitely changed.

         When I was 6 or 8, we were bombarded nearly every day by the
Japanese air raids.  There were news everyday about a Chinese Youth
Army (most of the soldiers were college students and graduates,
volunteered to join the army) fighting southwards (much south of
Kunming) towards the border and the American soldiers fighting their
way from the south to meet them.  It was a great news when they
finally met.  After (and in addition to) fighting the Japanese, they
had to fight the elements to open a "road" crudely speaking.  That
opened the way for the Americans to send ammunition and other much
needed supplies (medical supplies, even canned food) to Kuomintang's
soldiers who were facing the majority of the Japanese force.  (Before
then, it was mainly air lift.)  By the way, in the time between Pearl
Harbor and the surrender of Tojo, the majority of Japanese military
force was in China.  If they had not gone to Pearl Harbor, they would
have killed all Chinese.  (Please read Iris Chang's the Rape of
Nanking.)  The other scenario: if they had not had they army tied
down in China but all in the Pacific Islands for Pearl Harbor, I
would dread to think how many more Americans would have died doing
the "island hopping."

Best Regards, Shiangtai