[Buddha-l] Oops--Article is from NY Times

sjziobro at cs.com sjziobro at cs.com
Sat Aug 28 08:00:05 MDT 2010

Richard,

 Two points here.  The anthropologico-theological sense of harmartia certainly connotes a relationship with the divine, whether the divine is conceived in a monotheistic or polytheistic manner.  It is not thinking for oneself that is the mark of erring, because one can think for oneself at any time.  To err rather pertains to a failure to act in accord with divine guidance, that is, to act in a manner contrary to right thinking and right acting.  When viewed from this perspective the chasm, as you conceive it, between missing the mark and sin conceived in a moral sense, is more apparent than real; the two concepts are at least analogues.  Second point.  We apparently agree that hubris is a reality in the academic world.  I haven't escaped it outside the world of academe.  How you've escaped it within is a wonder, especially since you've never been known to think wrongly.

Regards,

Stan