[Buddha-l] Oops--Article is from NY Times

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 16:52:53 MDT 2010

Dan,

> New slogan: Zen mind is criminal mind !

> Should play well with the romanticize-tyrants-and-hoodlums crowd.

The word "Zen" is commercially used in Singapore to refer to a new flat or
condo, furniture, etc. And now, looks like it is going to end up like
"jesuit"?

It is interesting that Singapore's acronym in international sports (like the
recently concluded Youth Olympic Games) is "SIN". Some local evangelist
proposed in the local papers this be changed to something else. I wrote back
reminding that we have a "Cardinal Sin" in the Philippines.

One Christian scholar lamented the difficulty of bringing "sin" into China
(the Chinese simply would not sin, as it were): there is apparently no word
for sin in Chinese, he lamented!

Piya