[Buddha-l] Sex Scandals Has U.S. Buddhists Looking Within

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 09:11:33 MDT 2010

Pedro,

There are many Buddhisms. Zen although rooted in China is a product of
secularized Japan; just as Vajrayana is very much Tibetan. But when these
traditions are transplanted into a more socially "free" environment of the
West, the idols fell on their clay feet.

We could say that this is part of the westernizing process of Buddhism.
There is a lot of painfully learn. Many of we Buddhists in the east are
watching all this with interest, as there is much western influence here,
too, and we need learn new ways of coping with Buddhism in our age.

Piya Tan