[Buddha-l] Influence of media on the brain

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Aug 17 20:10:57 MDT 2010

According to this experiment the question of how much computers
and cellphones determine our thoughts remains unanswered.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/technology/16brain.html?pagewan
ted=4&_r=1&th&emc=th

erik

"Even without knowing exactly how the trip affected their brains,
the scientists are prepared to recommend a little downtime as a
path to uncluttered thinking....As they near the airport, Mr.
Kramer also mentions a personal discovery: "I have a colleague
who says that I'm being very impolite when I pull out a computer
during meetings. I say: 'I can listen.' "

So, nobody ever thought of this before, until these guys came
along?

As for people one is conversing with turning to their cell phones
or
palm pilots or whatever, to me this is the acme of interpersonal
crudity.
Digital tech has led to an escalation of rudeness in human
behavior.

Joanna