[Buddha-l] Nalanda ancient Buddhist seat of learning to rise again?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Aug 6 16:45:38 MDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> I heard about this a couple weeks ago. This would be good news if it
> weren't for the fact that Amartya Sen is behind it, which guarantees
> that the new Nalanda will be neither Buddhist nor a seat of learning.
> Otherwise I do not have any strong feelings on that subject.

Except for the fact that nothing guarantees anything, I completely agree with Curt. Nothing could be more ludicrous than to worry whether or not something is Buddhist, since "Buddhist" is a completely meaningless label that does more to impede than to promote the goals that so-called Buddhists like to think they are promotion, and "learning" is nothing but a name we give to the process of making other people share in our delusions.

Richard