[Buddha-l] Eckhart and Buddhism - general question and question on dying

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Wed Aug 4 17:38:04 MDT 2010

> lemmett at talk21.com
> writes:
>
> I am not at all knowledgeable about Meister Eckhart but am
> currently
> intrigued by his suggestion to always expect to find god. I
> have read the  Koyoto
> school mentioning him in Religion and Nothingness and the
> Nothingness
> Beyond God. I think it went over my head a bit.
> ==
> My favorite Eckhart quote is, you have to bust through God
> to get to God.
> To me, it is very Buddhist.
>
> jack

I hope I don't sound too pseudo philosophical but I was struck by the chance that I like this quote because it would be very sad for a Christian to find god but not know that they have. Isn't that a problem, that no one can ever expect many to agree with anything interesting; I'm thinking of stuff like "this is good" rather than the earth orbiting the sun. Maybe its my own fault for being so gullible.
Related to that, I wanted to know of anything similar to the 14 moments involved in death and rebirth, or the death-thought. I heard of this from Steven Collins' Selfless Persons but would like something in more detail in English? The point is that I was wondering if the death thought or some equivalent could be a permanent state, though that's probably shoehorning Buddhism into a common secular conception of death as "slipping into the night". Thank you very much for the help and any reply.

Luke