[Buddha-l] FW: H-ASIA: Buddhist inspired violence in Asia -further readings (response)

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Apr 19 21:16:53 MDT 2010

Barry Sautman is quite literally an apologist for the Chinese government
on the Tibet issue. In my opinion this puts him in the same ethical
category as holocaust deniers, Osama Bin Laden, Dick Cheney, and, well,
the Chinese government.

"Barry Sautman, Associate Professor of Social Science at the Hong Kong
University of Science and Technology, spoke at UCLA December 2 to defend
the thesis that claims of cultural repression against Tibetans by the
Han Chinese are greatly exaggerated by Tibetan exiles in India and by
the liberal Western press. His talk was met with some skepticism from
discussant Nancy Levine (Anthropology, UCLA) and by some members of the
audience, but he presented a wide range of data to support his view. The
talk was sponsored by the Center for Chinese Studies."

More here:
http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=2732

Curt Steinmetz