[Buddha-l] nytimes review of pbs The Buddha

Macleod, Nik Nik.Macleod at proquest.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 07:32:11 MDT 2010

> 09 April 2010 17:15 - Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>
> No, you'll walk home. I'd hate to think of what might happen if any
> Buddhist bicycles were exposed to someone who has been eating tripe.

Puts me in mind of my favourite Buddhistic typo which appears (twice)
in I.C. Harris - The continuity of Madhyamaka and Yogaacaara (Leiden:
E.J. Brill, 1991), p82.
Here we are told: 'The statement that the tripe world is mind-only
simply means that for the unenlightened person what he or she takes
to be reality is in fact nothing but mind and its concomitants.'
This is backed up by a quotation from Sthiramati to the effect that:
'The citta and caitta of the tripe world are non-existent imagination.'

On the subject of typos, one which may appeal to our resident coyote
is mentioned in a review by Beatrice D. Miller in JIABS of the first
edition of Diana Paul's - Women in Buddhism (Berkeley: Asian
Humanities Press, 1979). The reviewer expresses the desideratum that
various typos should be corrected in any future edition, and mentions
in particular a reference to the 'Louts Sutra' ...

Best wishes to all
Nik Macleod