[Buddha-l] nytimes review of pbs The Buddha

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Apr 11 14:36:26 MDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> In Richard's eagerness to confuse you, Bob, he might have had a spot of
> dizziness himself, since this is one of those "60s Buddhism" things he
> doesn't treasure (the flesh is weak... and tasty).

Dan hasn't been paying attention. I DO treasure 1960s Buddhism. I find it every bit as authentic and worthwhile and every form of Buddhism that preceded it.

> But it's not ALL Mahayanists who advocated vegetarianism.

It was neither stated, suggested or implied that ALL Mahayanists were vegetarian. What was said is that there were a few vegetarian sutras and that they were Mahayana texts.

There is enough confusuon around. No need to manufacture more by misstating what others have written, Danny boy.

Richard