[Buddha-l] on not-dwelling mind (Dan Lusthaus) (Dan Lusthaus)

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 17:50:56 MDT 2010

Hello Dan and all,

On the phrase here xin wu suo zhu, you say, "By itself one can only rearrange the words in English: The mind abiding nowhere, the nowhere-abiding mind, Mind lacking a stable place, etc." and ask, "What would you like it mean?"

Very good. I have no particular preferences. I was wondering if it could be a full sentence, such as "The mind abides nowhere." etc.
So here this goes beyond paraphrases of one noun phrase by another, but of a different syntactic structure, that of a full sentence with noun phrase and verb phrase forming a coherent whole.

Put differently, then, given a wide range of textual contexts in which these four words could be found, how might they be differently interpreted (in categories such as noun phrase, sentence, adverbial phrase or prepositional phrase --- to give two other options even if unlikely)?

And thanks for the reference to Liu Ming-wood Liu, Madhyamaka Thought in China.

Mitchell
Homepage (updated April 4, 2010): http://jinavamsa.com
See also http://jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html