[Buddha-l] Cultivating Cults

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 5 13:30:56 MDT 2010

Op 5-4-2010 18:41, Richard P. Hayes schreef:
> On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 08:38 -0600, Jim Peavler wrote:
>

>> Do I require intervention?  Can Professor Hayes save me?
>>
> Given that you're even farther into advanced geezerhood and anecdotage
> than I, Dr Peavler, I suspect you're pretty much used to being confused
> by now and require neither relief from that condition nor further
> considerations to exacerbate it.

The urge to be saved is a highway to any cult, in this case Hayesism.
It came to me last week that the ataraxia that overcame the old sceptics
might not be very much different from the joys that appear to come from
belief in a cult. In both cases you just stop wobbling about truth and
that kind of ridiculous things.
Richard increases the wobbles in his students, basically because of
sadist motives I presume. The ancedotes of Jim however are not much
better, because students must decide what they mean. Ages of Bible- and
other textstudies reveal that in this process belief is postponed
indefinitely.
In Hollywood they know better: no wobble, no anecdote, no Phd, just
Namyoho rengekyo!

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms