[Buddha-l] The Pali-Tibet Connection

Chris Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Sep 29 03:46:16 MDT 2009

Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2009, at 9:16 PM, Mitchell Ginsberg wrote:
>
>> And are there Sanskrit texts at all in the Tibetan Canon? I thought
>> there were Tibetan translations of Sanskrit texts, instead.
>
> You thought right. There are no Sanskrit texts in the Tibetan canon.
> All the texts in the kanjur and tanjur are Tibetan translations of
> texts from "the Indian language" or from Chinese. As for which Indian
> language a text in the Tibetan canon was translated from, the canon
> itself gives no hint (or at least no hint that I know how to interpret).
>
> Richard

There are xylographic or manuscript editions of a few Kagyur texts such
as the Ashtasahasrika Prajnaparamita with parallel Sanskrit and Tibetan
text.

A few sutras in the Kagyur were translated to Tibetan from the Chinese
not from an Indic language.

A couple of texts have been translated from Pali into Tibetan but this
was in the 20th century and these are not included in any edition of the
Kagyur

- C