[Buddha-l] US Congress Honors HHDL -- Obama delays meeting him

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 8 15:57:20 MDT 2009

Calls for Obama to Reconsider Dalai Lama Rebuff
By Michelle Boorstein

There's some new pressure from Capitol Hill for President Obama to
reconsider his rebuff of the Dalai Lama.

Obama is the first U.S. president in nearly two decades not to meet with the
Tibetan leader during a D.C. trip, and Congressman Frank Wolf of Virginia is
pressing him to change his mind and not "kowtow to the Chinese government, a
government that brutally oppresses its own people." Wolf made the comments
on the House floor yesterday.

Leonard Leo, chairman of the U.S. Commission on International Religious
Freedom (a federal body created to give guidance on the subject to the
highest U.S. officials), told the AFP the Obama move is "a strategic snub."

Meanwhile, the Dalai Lama will appear before the Senate Foreign Relations
Committee later this afternoon (4 p.m.), right after he attends an award
ceremony for people who have boosted the Tibetan cause. Among the
interesting folks there will be a group of Chinese who have spoke out in
defense of the Tibetans. Our colleague Maureen Fan a few months ago wrote a
fabulous article about the rise of Chinese pursuing Tibetan Buddhism.

Actor and celeb-Buddhist Richard Gere, a very longtime ally of the Dalai
Lama, will also be there today at the ceremony at 1:30 p.m. at Sidney Harman
Hall downtown.

http://tinyurl.com/yca5zzg

from the Washington Post

Dan