[Buddha-l] bodhi

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 28 18:05:21 MST 2009

Just in case the Oxford Polish-English Dictionary knew something about the
meaning of "obtain" that I didn't (who am I to argue with Oxford?), I
checked some other references. Here, just a few results (all can be obtained
[heh, heh] by following the link I gave in my last message):

http://www.onelook.com/?w=obtain&ls=a

(If I can't argue with Oxford, maybe Cambridge can)

obtain verb (GET)
[T] to get something, especially by asking for it, buying it, working for it
or producing it from something else
to obtain permission
First editions of these books are now almost impossible to obtain.
In the second experiment they obtained a very clear result.
Sugar is obtained by crushing and processing sugar cane.

(Definition of obtain verb (GET) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's
Dictionary)
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=54806&dict=CALD
--

obtain
    c.1425, from M.Fr. obtenir (14c.), from L. obtinere "hold, take hold of,

(online etymological dictionary)
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=obtain
----

obtain

transitive verb
Inflected Forms
obtained, obtaining, obtains
 Definition 1. to gain possession of; acquire.
 Synonyms = acquire (1) , get (1) , procure (1) , pick up {pick1 (PHR 3)} ,
gain (1) , secure (1)
Crossref. Syn. = annex , access , attain , take , achieve , accession
Similar Words:  win , reap , purchase , attain , buy , receive , earn ,
garner , grab
Related Words: land , make , recover , access , collect , derive , bum ,
realize , learn

intransitive verb
 Definition 1. to be customary; prevail.
Example: The traditional values of our ancestors still obtain.
Synonyms  = remain (1) , prevail (3,4) , rule (3) , reign (2) , endure (1,2)
Similar Words: stand , apply , survive , be , exist , persist , linger
Related Words: hold , take
Derived Forms: obtainable, adj.

(Wordsmyth)
http://tinyurl.com/yc4gtjb

None of these seems to suggest anything about what is gained as a gift from
another. None of these definitions denies agency to the one doing the
obtaining.

There are 20 more hits at the onelook link at the top.

Dan