[Buddha-l] bodhi

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Sat Nov 28 12:55:37 MST 2009

At 08:19 2009-11-27, you wrote:
>Hi, Artur, In a sense you are preaching to the already converted.

Dan, I do not know why, but your letter (read first yesterday from the net
version of the UW mail-service) couldn't be accessed from my Eudora. It
finally arrived a couple of minutes ago, but in extremely garbled form.

adhigacchati - let me meditate some on the meanings involved. In my case
it's slightly more complicated: while using the dictionary I have to have
in mind the Polish equivalents. If many meanings are "lost in translation"
when the original Pali is translated into English, my Polish translations
from the original Pali depend to a large extent on an  English
intermediary, and that is the PED.

adhigata (PED 28) - "got into possession of, conquered, attained, found".
This selection of meanings seems to exclude that one-way exchange between
the giver and the receiver. What is suggested is possessing, winning.
Attaining, not obtaining. Finding.

And, BTW  I do not know Chinese.

Regards,

Artur K.