[Buddha-l] bodhi

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Thu Nov 26 07:35:02 MST 2009

At 22:23 2009-11-25, Dan wrote:

 > So the light model does not conform to transcendent other-power paradigm
 > both you and Artur are wary of.

Dan, let me put it this way: it's quite probable that this "transcendent
other-power paradigm" linked to the term "enlightenment" is present in
minds of (at least some) people reading books on Buddhism. It's present in
mine. And it is strengthened by phraseological complexes of the "having
obtained Enlightenment" sort, which (again: at least to some) seem to imply
the presence of the enlightenment's donor.

People read book from within their own culture. Sorry for the banality.

Steven Collins (_Nirvana and other Buddhist Felicities_, CUP, 1998, pp.
213-214) says re:

"The words enlightenment and enlightened for bodhi and buddha do not render
them exactly. They are from the root budh, to be awake, and so more
faithful to the original would be "Awakening" and  "Awakened"; this would
also avoid confusion with the metaphor behind the eighteenth-century
European enlightenment. But these terms are so firmly entrenched in English
usage for Buddhism and other Indian religions that it seems pointless to
try to change matters, and I am content to use them."

Rupert Gethin (_The Foundations of Buddhism_, OUP, 1998) isn't content "to
use them": he uses consequently  „Awakening”, „Awakened”, and I do not
think his book is any worse for the loss of the light metaphor.

And: what kind of lexical problems you had in mind when you wrote: "Trying
to make some adjectival or adverbial form of "awaken" seamlessly fit a
passage in English can be difficult and frustrating [...]; all the more
aggravating when an "enlighten" derivative works perfectly". Could you,
please, offer some examples? What worries me (English not being my native
tongue) are those "adverbial forms": do you really need them in some contexts?

Regards,

Artur