[Buddha-l] bodhi

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 25 02:29:53 MST 2009

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> Richard,
>
> There are several entries in MW that one can argue beg the question, such as
>
> boddhavya - mfn. to be enlightened or admonished or instructed or informed ,
> one who is informed , Pañcat. Sāh
>
> bodhi - mf. (with Buddhists or Jainas) perfect knowledge or wisdom (by which
> a man becomes a Buddha or Jina) , the illuminated or enlightened intellect
> (of a Buddha or Jina) Kathās. Rājat. Śatr. Lalit. (cf. MWB. 97 , 188 &c.)
>
> bodhin - mfn. awakening , enlightening (cf. jJAna- , tattva- , bAla-bodhinI)
>

> But how about
>
> bodhisaMcodiNI bodhi--saMcodiNI - f. N. of a partic. ray of light Lalit.
> 734,3

Dan, it seems to me that you presume that words refer to things or concepts and that there's only one right meaning for a word ever. I disagree, I think words get their meaning by their use and that this changes over time. Sometimes the word enlightenment can be more precise and clear than the word awakening, it depends on the public.
The Buddhist light metaphor probably came from Zoroastrian Iran. The Western light metaphysics comes from Plato, he introduces it in the myth of the cave in Politeia. Perhaps Plato has also been influenced by Zoroastre, but there's no evidence. Anyway there no reason to think use of the light metaphor is the same in all cases and has the same connotations.
The problem with the European use of the word is that the rise of science  in the 16th century has been called Enlightenment, because the leading intellectuals were touched by the light of reason and reason was God. Nowadays there 's little support for the idea that God is reasonable.
Personal enlightenment has more the connotation of receiving the light of the God of the mystics, which is like that of the Midnight Special: your ticket out of this valley of sorrow. So in many cases the word Enlightenment is risky. The word awakening is not a standard metaphor in the West, so you'll have to introduce it first and then use it very consequently.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl