[Buddha-l] Singing for one's supper

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Nov 18 07:08:21 MST 2009

Dear Friends,

I was browsing Access to Insight and found the Kasi Bharadvaja Sutta. In
this sutra, the Buddha referred to food that has somehow been associated
with chanting. There are two apparently quite different translations. It
is not clear to me what the intended meaning is.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.04.than.html
"What's been chanted over with verses shouldn't be eaten by me."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.04.piya.html
"What I receive by reciting verses, O brahman, I should not eat."

In the first translation, it seems that food may have been chanted over
(blessed?) during preparation. In the second translation, it seems that
food might be received as payment for recitation. Can anyone explain?

--
Metta
Mike Austin