[Buddha-l] g-d

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon May 25 11:11:41 MDT 2009

The Nicene cementing of creed is what Max Weber called the
"routinization of charisma," aka the end of innovation,
reformation (until Luther, and then his movement got routinized),
exploration. State powers take over religion and collaborate in
(or stand aside in) enforcing punishments for heresy.

When was it that some Pope or authority decided that Catholics
shouldn't read scripture?
Reminds me of Muslims around the world memorizing the Koran
without understanding what it says; or like when I was in Laos,
the tour provided a Laotian feast courtesy of a family the owner
knows. It included building a circular offering of foods flowers
and grains, a ritual asking blessings on the world and us, that
involved chanting. When I asked if they were chanting in Pali,
the family head who was running the ritual said he didn't know,
probably not,  but that what he was chanting was traditional.

JK