[Buddha-l] "God" and Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sun May 24 16:53:35 MDT 2009

Brad Warner recently stated the following:

"I don't think Buddhism is atheism. And if people ask me the question,
'do you believe in God?' I'm always, like, 'Yes, I believe in God.'
There are other Buddhists, or other people who will tell you that
Buddhism is atheistic, and sometimes when I hear their explanations for
why it's atheistic, I can go, 'OK, if you define God as that, then
Buddhism doesn't have that kind of a God.' It doesn't have a creation
myth, or a creator God, or a God you can thank for getting a touchdown
in football, or this kind of thing. That isn't really part of Buddhism.
But there is this sense that there's an underlying ground to the
universe, and that ... that we all partake in it and we're all
manifestations of that and that this underlying ground is not just dead
matter, it's something alive. So in that sense I think it is not
atheism. My teacher would always say, 'God is the Universe, and the
Universe is God.'"

Warner also goes on to tell us that his approach to the whole "God"
thang is obviously influenced by the fact that he was brought up in a
family that only knew they were Protestant because they knew they
weren't Jewish and they knew they weren't Catholic. The whole youtube
clip is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwUOxNpv5GA

Personally I think Warner does a fairly good job of explaining this. I
particularly like the way that he makes it clear that everything depends
on what one actually means by "God".

Paul Williams, on the other hand, insists that Buddhism is inherently
atheistic:

"Buddhists do not believe in the existence of God. There need be no
debating about this. In practising Buddhism one never finds talk of God,
there is no role for God, and it is not difficult to find in Buddhist
texts attacks on the existence of an omniscient, omnipotent, all-good
Creator of the universe.

"But there are those who say that Buddhism does not deny the existence
of God. It is not atheist. It is, rather, agnostic [all emphases are in
the original]. Buddhism does not pronounce on whether God exists or not.
Buddhists do not claim to know God. God is irrelevant to the Buddhist
project of (broadly speaking) final freedom from all types of suffering
through the attainment of nirvana, liberation of enlightenment.
Enlightenmnent is attained through oneself following a set path of
morality, meditation and wisdom. It does not require any help from
divine intervention or any reference to God.

"To portray Buddhism as agnostic in this way seems to me a modern
strategy. In ancient times Buddhists were quite clear that they denied
the existence of a personal creator God as taught in the rival theistic
systems. Buddhism does indeed hold to the existence of divine beings,
rather like the gods of Greek and Roman mythology. But none of these is
the one supreme creator God of the great theistic religions such as
Judaism, Christianity and Islam. The Buddhists 'gods' (deva) tend to be
happier and more powerful than we are. They live longer than we do. But
they are part of the cycle of death and rebirth. In infinite past
rebirths we ourselves have been born as gods many times.

"Any God as He is understood in a religion like Christianity could not
be irrelevant to the path of final spiritual fulfilment. No God as
understood by Christians could be irrelevant to final fulfilment. If
Buddhism does not teach this God, it either does not teach the path to
final fulfilment or it considers that it is not necessary to the path to
teach such a God. But a God that is not necessary to final spiritual
fulfilment is not God as taught by Christianity. Thus if Buddhism does
not teach that sort of God, it must hold that such a God does not exist.
Therefore if Buddhism claims to teach such a path, and yet God is not
part of it, then the God referred to by Christians is indeed being
denied. From a Christian point of view Buddhism is clearly a form of
atheism." [pp. 25-26 of "The Unexpected Way"]

I could not disagree more with what Williams says in the above. This is
an excellent example of the very worst kind of "Christianity or nothing"
logic that dominates so much of modern discourse on religion.
Christianity makes a lousy template for Religion in general - and the
Christian "God" makes an especially lousy point of reference for other
religions' views of the Divine.

Here's one more quote - one that I largely agree with, from Alan Wallace
on the question of whether or not Buddhism is atheistic:

"In the framing itself, the question is already skewed. It’s not so
obvious to a person who’s totally immersed in Western civilization and
has almost no understanding of anything outside of Western civilization.
Frankly, so much of this antireligious rhetoric from the likes of
Richard Dawkins is just wildly unconsciously and uncritically
ethnocentric. Do Buddhists themselves ask, ‘are we atheists?’ Well, I’ve
never seen that question posed. In Buddhism that would be regarded as
such a dumb and uninformed question that is not even worthy of a response."

This quote is taken from a long interview with Wallace here:
http://www.reason9.com/podcast/index.php?id=74

Curt

P.S. I further explore these different takes on "God" and Buddhism on my
blog:
http://egregores.blogspot.com/2009/05/brad-warner-versus-dalai-lama.html
I also manage to drag in Miranda Shaw, Alan Watts, King Asoka, Anagarika
Dharmapala, and others.....