[Buddha-l] Theology among the Christians--may we be reminded of what Dogen said

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat May 16 22:38:01 MDT 2009

Delightful. Sending it to my granddaughter. Thanks for the
memories of Watts.
JK

----------------------------

Watts' point was that if aliens had come to earth too soon, they
would have looked around and said, "huh - just a bunch of rocks."
But if they came back later they would have said, "oh, we thought
it was just a bunch of rocks, but now there are people." Watts
then goes on to point out that:

"We grow out of this world ... if evolution means anything it
means that.  But you see we curiously twist it: we say, well,
first of all in the beginning there was nothing but gas and rock
and then intelligence happened to arise in it, you know, like a
sort of fungus or slime on the top of the whole thing. But we are
thinking in a way, you see, that disconnects the intelligence
from the rocks. Where there are rocks, watch out. Watch out!
Because the rocks are eventually to come alive."

Watts starts talking about this in this video at 3:04 into it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5M8743a1s

The animation in the above is by Trey Parker and Matt Stone of
South Park fame. You can ignore the stupid title "Atheist
Spirituality", which has nothing to do with anything.

Watts also talks about this in "The Book", but this recorded
version is actually better than that written version, in my
opinion.

Curt