[Buddha-l] Request for help from learned members of this list

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu May 14 14:57:36 MDT 2009

Just to add what Jack and Joanna (which is almost, but not quite, a John
Mellenkamp song...) already said, go with your own personal strengths
and/or inclinations.

If you happen to be artistic, use your art to investigate Buddhism. If
you are a potato farmer, use potato farming. Etc.

If you happen to be a bookish and/or scholarly type, then don't hold
back on that end. That is, do not deprive humanity of your gifts - the
world needs more Buddhist scholars, not fewer (but the pay is lousy and
prospects for advancement rather dim). But do beware of those
occupational hazards of that "personality type", especially melancholy,
egotism, ungroundedness, lack of physical exercise, and social
isolation. The same goes for those hazards common among artistic types
and potato farmer types - but I have less direct personal experience
with those.

Curt