[Buddha-l] HHDL in San francisco soup kitchen

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 6 12:26:54 MDT 2009

jkirk wrote:
> http://www.time.com/time/picturesoftheweek/
>
> Sweet!

Here is a blog entry from that day by a long-time volunteer at the
kitchen (she is T. Thorn Coyle, a well-known Wiccan author):

http://yezida.livejournal.com/189021.html

April 26, 2009: Clasping His Holiness' Hands

Yesterday he spoke to 7,000 people. Today I shook his hand.

I've worked in a local soup kitchen on and off for around fifteen years,
four of those, full time. It is a beautiful place, with a peaceful
garden and jam packed, multi-faith altar. The food is good and the place
is a refuge for many, guest and worker alike.

This morning, Martin's (http://www.martindeporres.org/) became a refuge
for the Dalai Lama.

The kitchen prepared for weeks. I stepped in to help just a few days
ago, in a serendipitous gap in my travel schedule, and this morning, a
miracle of timing was orchestrated. While volunteers ushered out the
guests from the morning meal, others of us moved in to rearrange the
courtyard with enough tables to fit the 150 or so guests that would be
able to dine with His Holiness. I scrubbed the bathrooms, then washed my
hands thoroughly in time to corral the waiters who would take plates of
food to the tables. We didn't really have time to meet, as word came
that His Holiness had arrived early.

When he walked in, all were silent. All bowed. Black-suited entourage
moving forward, I tried to back out of the way. Of course, this meant he
walked right up to me and shook my hand. We looked into each other's
eyes, each hand clasped between the other's and I said "Good morning,"
expecting that he would perhaps make some small talk as he had with the
man he'd just greeted. But no. We just stared and smiled, some
recognition passing between us: me in my black tee shirt and teal apron
and he in his burgundy and saffron robes. There was a dot of water
beneath his right eye. He moved on to greet others and see the garden.
Something in me responded to his presence and I felt tears come to my eyes.

He spoke to us about the fact that each of us depends upon the other,
and that there is no need to feel badly for that, that dignity and the
human spirit is in each of us, and we need to remember this. He spoke of
his mother, who would feed anyone in need who came to the house. He said
that everyone can be our parent, our brother, our sister... He spoke of
how important it is to have the chance to serve, and how he never has
the chance to serve with his own hands. Martin's gave him that chance.
He was gifted with an apron, died to match his robes, and he served up
pasta, salad and bread for the waiting tables. When I approached to get
a plate for the table I was serving, he looked into my eyes again, and
gave a deep, hearty laugh. I beamed at him. At the tables, the plates
were passed from hand to hand, so everyone present had a chance to serve
another.

The table he sat at - filled with homeless men, to whom he remarked that
he is also homeless - roared with laughter at quips he made. Not only
does he radiate Being, the Dalai Lama has a great laugh.

He spoke again after the meal, touching on many subjects, and saying
that all religions are important in what they offer, that each of us
must find the religion that is true for us, but that in the human
community, all are needed. He told us that Christian friends of his say
he is a good Christian... except for Desmond Tutu who says he is the
Mischievous Dalai Lama. And whether he will come back a fifteenth time?
It is a mystery. He did, however, want to come back to Martin's. I do
not blame him.

He told us not to worry too much, to be happy, and that any place can be
our home.

Then the swirl began. His hour was up and it was on to the next place.
The Secret Service moved into place, entourage swimming around the Dalai
Lama. I was trying to help keep people away from the doors where he
would exit. Once again, I was also trying to stay out of the way of the
dark suited men and women with their ear pieces and solid stances. Once
again, before he turned toward the door that would take him into the
main dining room, through the kitchen, and out back to the waiting car,
he turned, held out an arm, and shook my hand.

I felt the blessing in the whole space as I bent to scrub giant salad
bowls, pots, and huge casserole dishes. People were walking around, feet
on the ground, but astral bodies floating one foot above their heads as
they tried to set the kitchen back to rights. My own head ached a little
from the intensity of the psychic opening. Friends from the soup kitchen
- guests and volunteers alike - repaired across the street for coffee
and to talk over the events. I had a hot chocolate, which is rare for me
to want, because my spirit needed something sweet to bring me fully back
inside myself.

The blessing was Martin's itself, as usual, where there is a saying oft
repeated, "Well, it's just another miracle at Martin's." Today was that,
for all who came and were fed and, I got the impression, especially for
His Holiness himself.

Those who need love, may they find love. Those who need refuge, may they
find refuge. Those who need peace, may they find peace. Those who need a
home, may they look within their hearts and open wide. May we all become
homes for each other.

Blessed be.

[the soup kitchen has a website, too: http://www.martindeporres.org/ ]

Curt