[Buddha-l] beauty--or art-- (?) and the restraint of the senses,

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed May 6 11:26:27 MDT 2009

Thanks to all who commented on my queries about art. The topic
rapidly expanded to a wide-ranging
dimension that I did not have in mind when I started it. I was
not calling monk life into question, for example. I started with
a text, which got lost in the shuffle.

Talking about art often brings on generalization, which try as
anyone might, is hard to resist. Perhaps art talk vis a vis
Buddhism isn't suitable for an email discussion forum, where one
must write rather than respond naturally, as in working with a
handful of people face to face, where a focus can more easily be
maintained; where, for example, the use of a term such as
'ostinato' to build a point can be more easily handled.  So I'm
outta here for now.
Cheers, all.
Joanna