No subject

Sat Mar 21 12:00:21 MDT 2009

strong in specifics, esp Buddhist specifics. I suppose it is difficult to
give gritty details on say Buddhism, when her interest is broader, a kind of
global view of religion.

But I'm sure I will enjoy attending her talks. Some teachers are better
speakers than witers.

Bernard Faure's new "Unmasking Buddhism" (2009), comes to mind here. Faure,
in his "zen insights and oversights" tack, is interesting and useful reading
if we discount his sometimes too summary sweeps of the details.

We are in a very exciting cameo in the local history of Buddhism as the
moneytheist monastics of Singapore are quietly ganging up against those who,
influenced by the noon radiance of the forest monks (mostly Ajahn Chah's
pupils), trying to isolate them (includig myself).

Are we seing symptoms of chinks and cleavages in a new Buddhist chrysalis?
Butterflies, like good dharma, do not live long, but they are beautiful as
they fly in the light, and we watch them.

It is an exciting moment here, yet a terrifying one, too, when we realize
this is not textbook Buddhism or academic Buddhism, but real-life
spirituality.

I have been reading William Pietz's entry on "Person" in Donald Lopez Jr's
"Critical Terms for the study of Buddhsm" (2005), and feel compelled that we
need to do more than let the centuries of monastic slavery, oppression and
tartuffism politely rest (or grow).

In Singapore the money monastics are employing armies of professionally
qualified youths. The more thinks one, who value mental health over money,
inno time leave, often deeply disillusioned to find the monastic heart not
only dark but empty.

Don't get me wrong: I only agree with people like Schopen, where they are
not too summary in his writing. WIll someone tell him to visit India one
day, or better go for a good meditation retreat, so that he could see the
other brighter side of Buddhism?

I am all for early Buddhism and forest dharma, as I think they are good
anthitheses, even cure, for the materialism and mega-churchism of Singapore.
(There is a wide range of mediaevally virulent forms of evangelism, here,
too. Frankly I fear the SInhalese nayaka my family and I pushing a large TV
at Giant, a popular mart here, more!)

I am now working on an article on "The Body in Buddhism" which inspired me
to reflect on "The Person in Buddhism." I have to work on the former for a
good doctrinal ground, but more enjoy writing the latter.

Thanks for reading this, and good for you if you feel some deligh about itt.
There are less than a handful ears here in this philistine Singapore that I
can speak so richly with.

Asalha Puja (the fullmoon day commemorating the teaching the First
Discourse) was on Tuesday. The monastic rains retreat is now well on its
way.

With the blessing of the vars.aavaasa,

Piya Tan