[Buddha-l] Former denizens keeping the faith

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Mar 31 08:57:59 MDT 2009

Once I actually posted something about finding another B.
list--e-sangha, but having checked it out a few times, realised
it's no match for this one by a long (or short) shot.
e-sangha now left behind, like in the movie.
Joanna
=========================

Dear denizens,

Some of you long-time veterans of buddha-l and its evil twin, the
buddhism list, may recall when a fellow named Namdrol and another
earnest seeker named Kevin Solway were trying to set us straight
on what Buddhism really is (and, more importantly, what Buddhism
decidedly is NOT). They both eventually got tired of us, because
Jim Peavler was rude to them. Or maybe I was rude to them. I
forget the details. I think it was Jim who was rude though.

A couple of months ago I read (but managed to stay out of) a
discussion on the Unitarian-Universalist Buddhist Fellowship list
about E-Sangha, which is a Yahoo group. The claim has been made
that E-Sangha gets more hits than any Buddhist discussion group
on the Internet. Whether that is true or not, E-Sangha certainly
does its best to warn newcomers to Buddhism about the many false
teachers out there who are spreading lies about the Dharma. I
couldn't resist exploring E-Sangha for about forty-five seconds.
One of the first things I learned was that our old friend Namdrol
is (or has been) a regular contributor and a moderator of
E-Sangha. (I think Jim used to call Namdrol Numbskull. Somebody
did. I forget who. Probably Jim.)

There is a blog site on Wordpress.com dedicated to revealing all
the intolerant attitudes that routinely get expressed on
E-Sangha. Our old friend Kevin Solway contributes to that one. He
and Namdrol never did see eye to eye. Each seems to have seen the
other as the anti-Buddha. (I seem to recall that Peavler was rude
to Solway, too. I may, however, be getting Peavler mixed up with
me again.)

It's nice to know a couple of refugees from buddha-l have made
good.
Let's all raise a glass of amrita to Namdrol and Kevin Solway and
wish them salud. (And, say, whatever happened to that kindly old
retired Brazilian judge named something like Patanga who used to
try to tie everyone up into Madhyamaka knots until someone around
here was rude to
him?)

For those of you who have way too much time on your hands, a few
more details about the efforts of the folks on E-Sangha to keep
Buddhism safe from those reprobates who are prone to the horrible
vice of critical thinking can be found on a squib on by blog
site. If you are not too timid, go to http://tinyurl.com/cyzpv7
(and, if you're not an Ubuntu Linux user, hope to hell it's not a
virus or a worm).

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and to all a good night, I now
retreat back into oblivion, obscurity and obfuscation.

--
Dh. Dayamati
http://dayamati.blogspot.com