[Buddha-l] Former denizens keeping the faith

Dayamati rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Mar 30 23:05:31 MDT 2009

Dear denizens,

Some of you long-time veterans of buddha-l and its evil twin, the
buddhism list, may recall when a fellow named Namdrol and another
earnest seeker named Kevin Solway were trying to set us straight on what
Buddhism really is (and, more importantly, what Buddhism decidedly is
NOT). They both eventually got tired of us, because Jim Peavler was rude
to them. Or maybe I was rude to them. I forget the details. I think it
was Jim who was rude though.

A couple of months ago I read (but managed to stay out of) a discussion
on the Unitarian-Universalist Buddhist Fellowship list about E-Sangha,
which is a Yahoo group. The claim has been made that E-Sangha gets more
hits than any Buddhist discussion group on the Internet. Whether that is
true or not, E-Sangha certainly does its best to warn newcomers to
Buddhism about the many false teachers out there who are spreading lies
about the Dharma. I couldn't resist exploring E-Sangha for about
forty-five seconds. One of the first things I learned was that our old
friend Namdrol is (or has been) a regular contributor and a moderator of
E-Sangha. (I think Jim used to call Namdrol Numbskull. Somebody did. I
forget who. Probably Jim.)

There is a blog site on Wordpress.com dedicated to revealing all the
intolerant attitudes that routinely get expressed on E-Sangha. Our old
friend Kevin Solway contributes to that one. He and Namdrol never did
see eye to eye. Each seems to have seen the other as the anti-Buddha. (I
seem to recall that Peavler was rude to Solway, too. I may, however, be
getting Peavler mixed up with me again.)

It's nice to know a couple of refugees from buddha-l have made good.
Let's all raise a glass of amrita to Namdrol and Kevin Solway and wish
them salud. (And, say, whatever happened to that kindly old retired
Brazilian judge named something like Patanga who used to try to tie
everyone up into Madhyamaka knots until someone around here was rude to
him?)

For those of you who have way too much time on your hands, a few more
details about the efforts of the folks on E-Sangha to keep Buddhism safe
from those reprobates who are prone to the horrible vice of critical
thinking can be found on a squib on by blog site. If you are not too
timid, go to http://tinyurl.com/cyzpv7 (and, if you're not an Ubuntu
Linux user, hope to hell it's not a virus or a worm).

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and to all a good night, I now retreat
back into oblivion, obscurity and obfuscation.

--
Dh. Dayamati
http://dayamati.blogspot.com