[Buddha-l] karma (Re: Pali Sutta0

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Mar 15 09:00:10 MDT 2009

"Karma" is not a Buddhist word. But there are various Buddhist theories
of karma. One should be careful to distinguish between the basic meaning
of karma and the theorizing that Buddhists do about karma.

Technically (and actually) karma just means "action". The Buddha
understood that "thoughts", including but not limited to
intentional/volitional thoughts, are actions.

In modern English we tend to associate action with physical action. In
the process of correcting (from a Buddhist perspective) this too narrow
view of "action", an incorrect impression is sometimes given that karma
means a special kind of action, namely, action that is intentional -
when in fact it means just plain old action, including thoughts,
including thoughts of intention, including thoughts of intention that do
not lead to physical actions.

"Karma" does not mean only actions we "intend". It means all actions -
or, more correctly, it just means action.

An even bigger problem comes from another artificial, physicalist
limitation that westerners usually place on the concept of action. Any
action is a continuum that includes intention or whatever else was going
on prior to the "doing" of the action. But this continuum also includes
all the stuff that keeps happening after the "doing" of the action is
completed. Westerners tend to fixate on the stuff that comes later and
call that karma.

Because the western conception of action is fragmented in this way we
tend to view both "intentions" and "consequences" as separate from
"action" - resulting in all kinds of weird actions.

Curt