[Buddha-l] Fair Use behind Closed Classroom Doors

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:22:14 MST 2009

I use Google Pages as I still a dimwit with websites. My wife Ratna is
getting better at it now.

Anyway, we have been uploading all my translations and essays onto our website.

Interestingly, a forest monk (a westerner I think) from Sri Lanka
emailed me saying that another forest monks from Australia had handed
him some printed copies of my Sutta translations, and wonder if he
could use those materials. Of course, I said, and also invited
(pavarana) him and other monks to check or critique my works freely.

What also interesting is that the forest monks tells me that he is
(they are) only allowed to email but not surf the net, even them for
like 3 minutes to download the emails for perusing offline. A great to
engage with the world without sinking into it.

Anyway, I will be sending a CD or DVD of the translations and essays
to the forest monastery free of charge. (There is a small charge for
non-monastics and false monastics.)

Then there is the case of an Indian bookseller in India who wanted a
set of hard copies of my translations. We agreed on barter: I keep
sending him installments of my works as they appear, and he
occasionally informs me of the latest books on Buddhism published in
India. Theoretically I could get from him any title listed in the
catalogues of MLBD or any Indian publishers, by way of exchange. This
is an international trade at its best, in Dharma terms.

Piya Tan