[Buddha-l] Useful for Enlightenment?

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Tue Mar 3 10:48:56 MST 2009

Gang,

Many thanks for the appreciation of the Journal of Global Buddhism.
There's a saying common on the net that information wants to be free.
This for two reasons. 1) It is so very easy to put up information in
easily and freely copiable form. 2) Information, especially scholarly
information, exists precisely to be expanded and applied; these
actions can be achieved in direct proportion to the extent of that
information's freedom. The JGB: freeing information since 2000. <http://www.globalbuddhism.org

By contrast, I just had the discouraging experience of wanting to
recommend a chapter I wrote some years ago to a teacher of an
introduction to Buddhism course. But that chapter is not free. It is
bound into the paper chains of a book that no one wants to buy. I
*have* the pdf on my computer, but do not believe I can legally share
it (certainly not with a class of students, anyway). They are left to
the wilds of the internet and my information rots in its pulpy prison.

So let us cheer the demise of the $150 book, but not replace it with
the $40 pdf!

Franz