[Buddha-l] Schopen lauded

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:37:06 MST 2009

Well, Curt, :) There is a great demand and respect of "angmo" (read
Thai: "farang") monastics and teachers here. On more than one
occasion, monastery workers here have told me that "western speakers
attract larger crowds here than locals".

Yes, opportunities abound in the monasteries here in this downturn,
which of course have almost no effect on the affluent monastics.

Having said that, I think the crossing between local meditation
teachers (esp forest monks like AJahn Chah) and western practitioners
are providing a rich global platform for spiritual connectivity on an
unprecedented level in Buddhist history.

I'm learning a great from western Buddhist teachers, from this forum
and I'm getting more western monks contacting me about Sutta
translations and study. The experience is most enriching.

With metta,

Piya