[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jul 31 17:26:48 MDT 2009

On the off chance that anyone is not quite sick of this, you might be
interested in something I have just written comparing and contrasting
the views of Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine, on the one hand, with
those of Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, on the other hand, on the
matter of religious freedom, tolerance and diversity:
http://egregores.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-to-profess-and-by-argument-to.html

In addition to Harris and Dawkins I also look at some things that three
other outspoken atheists have had to say concerning the Collins
nomination: PZ Myers, Russell Blackford, and Jerry Coyne. I was very
impressed by how Russell Blackford has handled this. He goes into great
detail criticizing Collins' ideas about religion and science, but then,
noting that Collins is eminently qualified and that we do not
discriminate against people on the basis of religion, well, he concludes
that opposing this nomination on the basis of the man's religious ideas
should be seen as "unacceptable in any society that gives (even) lip
service to ideas of social pluralism, freedom of religion, etc."

Buddhism can exist in the West only because we enjoy religious freedom.
This freedom is far more tenuous than we often assume, and the hornets'
nest stirred up by Collins' nomination reveals just how ready some
people are to dispense with even the pretense or religious toleration.

Curt