[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion basedblacklisting for government jobs

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 17:20:48 MDT 2009

Ad hominems, yes.  We all use them from time to time, in all sorts of contexts.  I see Richard used an ad hominem against his own dad by saying he's unqualified to talk about religion because he's a geologist.  My own dad was an architect who talked politics day and night.  It was a bit annoying, but he was qualified nonetheless.  I agree with Franz Mecalf--sometimes ad hominems are okay.  I vote we all give ourselves permission to use occasional ad hominems on this list as long as they are timely and appropriate, and we sincerely acknowledge we are using them.  I'm sure Irving Copi would understand.

Katherine Masis