[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jul 31 13:54:58 MDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Alberto Todeschini wrote:

> Copi's treatment is now obsolete.

Somebody should communicate that to the people who write college
textbooks on reasoning and critical thinking. In all the texts I have
used to teach that subject in recent years, argumentum ad hominem is
still listed among the informal fallacies, with warnings that using it
weakens one's overall argument.

> As for the ad hominem, there are cases in which it is perfectly
> appropriate

I've never seen any, except for the one's Dan has mentioned, namely,
that of being an expert witness in a court of law. I once served as an
expert witness and was treated to every imaginable attempt to show
that I had no credibility at all on any topic under the son. I had no
choice but to plead guilty.

> So to make an ad hominem is not
> ipso facto to commit a fallacy.

I am not sure anyone was making that claim. In fact, all that happened
was that I used Curt why he weakened his case against Sam Harris by
citing biographical details about Harris that have no relevance
whatsoever to the charges Harris made against Collins. I never did get
an answer.

> (I can provide some bibliographical details off-list if you want)

No thanks. Anyone who writes that ad hominem argumentation is not
fallacious is ipso facto not worth reading.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes