[Buddha-l] Website of the Arya Sanghata Sutra

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Fri Jul 31 06:02:20 MDT 2009

"[DPD CDT] Shen Shi'an" <shian at kmspks.org> writes

"... even beings who have done utmost evil can be born in Pure Land if
they repent in time and connect to Amitabha Buddha (Amituofo) via
practice of mindfulness, to let him share his bountiful merits with one,
so as to enable the birth. Because the amount of evil done can never be
greater than a Buddha's perfect ocean of merits, the evil is seriously
diluted by it. It's beating the law of karma with itself :-] It's
sometimes taught that the Pureland method is the only way to escape from
an otherwise hellish rebirth."

My practice is concerned with overcoming delusion and ignorance. However
karma ripens on me, it is the mind at the time of the ripening that will
determine whether it is dukkha.  I have the responsibility for purifying
my own mind. I wonder whether 'Pure Land' really means 'Pure Mind'. If I
clear out negative emotion and confusion from my mind, it will be 'born'
into a better state.  The way for me to escape falling into lower states
is to cultivate respect for the Buddha and the Dharma he taught, because
that respect guides and strengthens my practice.

--
Metta
Mike Austin