[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Jul 30 16:58:26 MDT 2009

Richard et al.,

On Jul 30, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Richard Hayes replied to me thus:

>> Richard, I suggest that you are taking a standard designed to
>> evaluate logical arguments in the realm of philosophy
>
> There is no other realm.

Oops, I forgot! Thanks for reminding me in a way that made me laugh.

Though you perhaps wisely "suggest this conversation be conducted
elsewhere," I do think it's instructive, somehow, even here. It is, at
any rate, seemingly salutary for me. Perhaps it has something to do
with reminding me how our worldly capabilities seem (again, to me)
inevitably linked back to prapañcas, or at least dṛṣṭis. Is this
our fate unless we become āryas? I believe that's the standard view
(if there's such a thing).

Sigh,

Franz