[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion basedblacklisting for government jobs

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 30 15:44:05 MDT 2009

Indeed, if one reads Harris' "review" of Francis Collins' book "The
Language of God", it becomes apparent that Harris has not so much
"opened the door" as he has knocked the whole house over with an armored
bulldozer.

In the opening paragraph Harris calls Collins' book "vile". And it's
downhill from there. Harris claims to speak in defense of "the future of
intellectual and political discourse in the United States." He warns
that Collins' book will not only do "lasting harm to our discourse", but
that it threatens "the stature of science in the United States" and even
"the fate of American society" might be in doubt. Collins is not only
guilty of "intellectual misconduct", he has discredited our nation: all
American "should be ashamed" that such a book was able to be published
in our country:
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20060815_sam_harris_language_ignorance/

Both Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins have developed a weird obsession
with "discourse" and their own self-perceived centrality to it, btw.
Dawkins now promotes himself as "the most formidable intellect in public
discourse" (that is on the cover of his new book, which he displays
prominently on his website).

Curt