[Buddha-l] Evil

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Thu Jul 30 11:09:20 MDT 2009

Jayarava <jayarava at yahoo.com> writes

"Why are we stupid at all?"

I think this may relate to one of the imponderables - the origin of the
world. Why does anything exist at all, in any way shape or form? We just
don't know.

"Our genetics predispose us to concern for the welfare of the troop"

Inasmuch as we identify our interests with the troop.

"It is actually quite a bizarre thing for a social animal to make such a
big mistake. By rights we would simply die as a result of pursuing this
strategy over a lifetime, let alone successive generations."

Some mistakes we get away with. I just say they don't lead to happiness.

"But this is just religious cant. You presuppose that you know what so
called "reality" is. How does something which is not in accordance with
reality exist at all? What definition of reality allows for that?"

I have a hypothesis that causes and their results are linked. That is my
presupposition - a hypothesis, not a knowledge. With an unrealistic view
of the results of their causes, the view of people behaving in an 'evil'
manner does not correspond to people who know what brings happiness.

"You are repeating one of the arguments for the existence of a
benevolent God despite the fact of evil. Interesting isn't it? In fact
your "force for good" is one of the definitions of God used by Christian
theologians in this kind of debate."

I said: "Good may have coherence and sustainability and is in accordance
with reality - the next best thing to a 'force'" It was because I do not
think 'force' is the right term.  A better term would be 'motivation for
good'. I do feel as if there is some universal benevolence - and this is
not without reason. If I intend to develop my motivation to help others,
it is likely that others have done the same and are more advanced than I
am. So my own practice does, in a way, bear witness to this.

"So your view of reality is universal, but your view of space is
limited?"

This is the difference between outlook and looking.

"You have reasoned from a presupposition. If we assume that you know
reality, then your argument is reasonable. However if we can reasonably
doubt that you have knowledge of reality - and sorry but I do - then
your argument is not reasonable."

Yes, my reasoning starts with presuppositions.  Your reasoning may start
with different presuppositions. My reasoning and experience help me lead
a contented life.

"Where is there any evidence of a coherent good, let alone a sustainable
good, in the world?"

There are altruistic groups of people in the world. They form a coherent
good because they work sustainably together. 'Evil' works together while
self-interest is satisfied, so it is a temporary, incoherent 'force'.

"It will be interesting to see if I can get middle-class suburbanite
working family people interested in this question, before they drift off
to sleep at about 9.30pm..."

Even better, try to get them interested in an answer. Suggest that every
being is essentially a caring being but, due to misunderstanding,  it is
focussed on an illusory 'self'. Others get hurt in the process as a side
effect. It is not peoples' prime motive to harm.

--
Metta
Mike Austin