[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jul 27 09:18:21 MDT 2009

On Jul 25, 2009, at 2:07 AM, Jayarava wrote:

> Hīnayāna being most likely a caste-ist term IMHO - hīna being used
> in a number of other compounds for describing out-castes and
> untouchables. Dayamati has translated it as Garbage Vehicle, but I
> tend to suggest Nigger Vehicle for a modern equivalent with a
> similar emotional sting.

About fifteen years ago I related a story on buddha-l which might be
worth repeating. In 1986 there was a conference on Buddhism in America
to which monks and dharma teachers of many traditions were invited,
along with academics who also practice Buddhism. Carl Bielefeldt gave
a paper on the use of the term "hīnayāna" as used in the
Saddharmapuṇḍarīkanāmamahāyānasūtra (the sutra of the
grandiose vehicle called White Lotus of the Sad Dharma). His point, of
course, was that the term was intended as a term of abuse and
contempt, and he pointed out that in Buddhism the use of such terms as
hīnakarma (substandard behavior), hīnavarṇa (inferior caste),
hīnā saṃjñā (substandard understanding) are always use to warn
people off things that are to be avoided.

No sooner had Bielefeldt finished than a Burmese layman was up on his
feet expressing shock and outrage that a scholar would use the deeply
offensive and provocative word "hīna". Bielefeldt explained that it is
impossible to talk about the Lotus Sutra without using such language,
since one of the principal messages of the Lotus Sutra is that forms
of Buddhism not based on the Lotus Sutra should be avoided by those
who seek the True Dharma. It is, he said, a sutra designed to offend
and condemn and provoke, and one would miss that purpose entirely if
one avoided offensive and provocative language.

Bielefeldt's answer delighted the Buddhist academics, but it managed
to start a firestorm among the other Buddhists. Theravādins expressed
outrage that the ugly word "hīna" had been spoken in a public forum
with ladies present, and the Mahāyāna folk were outraged that anyone
would suggest that Mahāyāna sutras might be polemical and aimed at
denigrating other Buddhists. (Imagine endless references to
bodhisattva vows saying that it is a grave offense to denigrate any
Buddhist teaching. Moi? Denigrating?)

In the midst of all the ensuing proliferation of tranquil, benevolent,
wise and compassionate discourse of the sort that one takes for
granted among Buddhist practitioners, a Theravādin monk originally
from Sri Lanka but then based in Chicago told a personal anecdote
about an encounter he had had with an African-American man. Someone
called the African-American a nigger, and the man so designated (dare
I say denigrated?) became angry. The Theravādin monk tried to calm him
down by pointing out that words are mere sounds and sounds can hurt no
one, and there is nothing good to be gained by causing oneself mental
hurt by becoming offended at mere sound waves in the air. (Right out
of the textbook, eh?) A few months later, the bhikkhu and his African-
American friend were attending a lecture at which someone referred to
the Theravāda as a school with origins in the Hīnayāna. The bhikkhu
admitted to feeling a swell of anger and jumping to his feet to
protest. Before he could speak more than a few words, he felt a gentle
tugging at the edge of his robe. His African-American friend quietly
said "I think you now know how I feel when someone calls me a nigger."

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
rhayes at unm.edu