[Buddha-l] hiinam dhammam

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 07:03:48 MDT 2009

--- On Mon, 27/7/09, Mike Austin <mike at lamrim.org.uk> wrote:

> Interesting.  It suggests to me that 'hina' in this
> usage does not refer to a Buddhist path or practice.

Yes in this context the definition suggests either some other doctrine, or at best a misunderstanding of the Buddhadharma. The latter is what, say, the White Lotus Sutra is on about when it refers to the bhikṣus who won't listen to the new teaching, isn't it?

> I have also been looking for definitions of hinayana, in a
> rather futile attempt to know what I am talking about. On one of my
> favourite websites (Access to Insight) John Bullitt says, "The Theravada
> school of today is a descendent of the Hinayana".

Yes? OK. Well. In that case... I give in. \o/ (throws hands in air theatrically).

Jayarava